“Sandra Desjardins’s editorial suggestions elevated my manuscript without trying to change my voice or intent. Being an author herself, she understands what is needed to make your work the best it can be.” – J.D. Covert
What is proofreading?
Proofreading is a necessary step in the editing process that provides the final corrections in your text. By purchasing this service, you will make sure your book is polished in regards to spelling, grammar, factual information, and some formatting . Your proofreader will read your previously copy edited manuscript thoroughly and catch any lingering mistakes.
At Independent Book Review, we provide a qualified and detail-oriented proofreader who can clean up your fiction or nonfiction manuscript, whether you plan to self-publish or enter the querying phase of traditional publishing. With this IBR proofreading service, you can be confident that your manuscript is in its cleanest form and presents itself to readers as a book that fits publishing’s industry standard.
When should you hire a proofreader?
Proofreading is the final step in the editing process. If you are considering hiring a proofreader, you should have already completed big-picture edits and a formal copy edit. This service is not available as a substitute for copy editing.
In the proofreading phase, your proofreader will meticulously comb through your text, recognizing spelling errors, grammatical errors, some formatting errors, and more. Your proofreader will utilize track changes in your manuscript, never making direct changes directly to the manuscript. This gives you the final say in making the proofreader’s change or disregarding it. With this service, your book will abide by the high-quality industry standards that come with books published by major and independent publishing houses.
Who will be proofreading your manuscript?
Sandra Desjardins is a highly motivated, tech-savvy professional with over ten years’ experience working in a fast-paced editorial environment. She has extensive experience supporting authors in high-profile projects, and she has exceptional analytical ability and talent for managing information. She is proficient with a variety of editing software tools and has a deep and profound working knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style. With her experience as the copy editor for indie presses like Melange Books and Dragon Soul Press, Sandra enjoys collaborating with authors to ensure that the suggested changes enhance the manuscript’s readability, conciseness, and style expected of the publishing industry. Her second novel is set to publish with Fire and Ice publishing in 2020.
How it works
- Please fill out the form below.
- Your proofreader will complete a free five-page sample proofread within 5 days.
- When you receive your free sample edit, you will also receive the rate at which your project will be copy edited. At this time, we would be happy to answer any lingering questions or concerns about the service.
- If you decide to pursue the proofreading service, we will agree upon the best payment plan for you.
- A personalized contract will be created outlining the terms of service, deadline, legalities, and more.
- Once you sign the contract and make the first payment, the turnaround time will begin.
- In three weeks, you will receive your proofread manuscript.
- Your proofreader is available for a one-hour phone consultation covering any lingering questions or concerns about your manuscript.