by Jaylynn Korrell
September 6th was National Read A Book Day, and it got me thinking of all the reading I’ve done and have yet to do. To me, it feels like there is an endless amount of books to consume, and scrolling through the hashtag #readabookday made me realize that I am not the only one (and nowhere close to it) who has this passion. I wished that kind of enthusiasm was present everyday and not only on random internet holidays, so I went to the pros to find some awesome quotes about reading that can always keep us excited about turning the page.
Here are 13 quotes to keep you excited about reading.
1. “What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.” -J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
2. “You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” - Paul Sweeney
3. “Do not read, as children do, to amuse yourself, or like the ambitious, for the purpose of instruction. No, read in order to live.” ―
5.“When I get a little money, I buy books. If any is left, I buy food and clothes.” — Erasmus
6. “It had been startling and disappointing to me to find out that story books had been written by people, that books were not natural wonders, coming up of themselves like grass. Yet regardless of where they come from, I cannot remember a time when I was not in love with them -- with the books themselves, cover and binding and the paper they were printed on, with their smell and their weight and with their possession in my arms, captured and carried off to myself. Still illiterate, I was ready for them, committed to all the reading I could give them....” ―
7. “I don't believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." - J.K. Rowling
8. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” -
9.“I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound or stab us. If the book we're reading doesn't wake us up with a blow to the head, what are we reading for? So that it will make us happy, as you write? Good Lord, we would be happy precisely if we had no books, and the kind of books that make us happy are the kind we could write ourselves if we had to. But we need books that affect us like a disaster,that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. That is my belief.” ―
10. “Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.” ―
11. “You get a little moody sometimes but I think that's because you like to read. People that like to read are always a little fucked up.” ―
12.“A library is a place where you can lose your innocence without losing your virginity.” ―
13. “When I look back, I am so impressed again with the life-giving power of literature. If I were a young person today, trying to gain a sense of myself in the world, I would do that again by reading, just as I did when I was young.” ―